Browse Items (7 total)
- Date is exactly "circa 1890"
Joe Reed Restaurant and Confectionary, S. Main Street, Bowling Green, Ohio, with office of Express Company
Joe Reed Restaurant and Confectionary, S. Main Street, Bowling Green, Ohio, with office of Express Company. Restaurant, also known as Reed & Evans, sold to James Pennell in 1893; Reed elected marshall in Bowling Green in 1894, and was first Chief of…
Lunch Room restaurant on the south side of Wooser Street, near Main Street.
George Carmack in front of his drug store on the west side of North Main Street, Bowling Green, Ohio
George Carmack in front of his drug store (later Rogers Drug Store, operated by Voney Wright) on the west side of North Main Street, Bowling Green, Ohio. Carmack operated one of Bowling Green's twenty-one saloons in the rear of this store. The next…
Portable slates were used by students for writing and figuring while in class. A special stylus was employed for writing on the slate.
Typically the hand bell was used by the teacher to signal the end of the school day and any break or recess for the students.
Converted lard buckets or tin pails with covers were frequently used to carry lunches to school. This is an example of graniteware which was usually characterized by a colorful enameled finish over iron-based metal goods.
Penmanship and skill at writing well with pen and ink were considered the hallmark of an educated person. School desks had special holes cut into them to accomodate the small open top inkwells often made of glass of crockery. The teacher would keep…