(Godey's Lady's Book, April 1884)
Godey’s Lady’s Book began life in 1830 as The Lady’s Book. Under long-time publisher Louis A. Godey and editor Sarah Hale, the magazine pioneered the structure of the modern women’s magazine, incorporating advice, fiction, fashion, recipes, music and advertising in one small volume. Godey sold the magazine in 1877, but it continued until 1895. The magazine featured the work of many women, and Hale advocated strongly for the education of women, going so far as helping to fund Vassar College.