Skip to main content

Little Red School House

The Educational Memorabilia Center Collection, honoring Bowling Green State University’s beginnings as a state normal college or teacher training school, features an original one-room school house, the District # 6 school constructed near Norwalk, Ohio in 1875, and donated by the Linder Family to Bowling Green State University. It was moved to campus in 1975. Referred to as the Little Red Schoolhouse, it was officially dedicated in 1976.

In addition to the school building and its period contents, BGSU is home to a substantial collection of educational artifacts including bells, inkwells, slates, textbooks, reference works, and historic documents. The University Libraries’ catalog includes over 3,000 representative volumes spanning both the Nineteenth and Twentieth centuries.