Skip to main content

Commons

Files

Commons.jpg

Title

Commons

Description

As the University population expanded greatly throughout the 1930s and 1940s, student dining facilities became overcrowded. Over time, the strain placed on the facilities forced administrators into taking action.

In order to relieve this pressure, a Camp Perry mess hall was purchased by the University and moved to campus in 1947. The wood frame building contained two dining halls and a kitchen. Students could participate in a "meal ticket system" or "pay-as-you-go" system of dining.

Throughout its existence, the Commons served a supplementary function to the university dining system and increased the dining options available to students, faculty, and administrators on campus.  

The original mess hall building was demolished in 1963 and replaced with a modern brick facility that served the university community for several decaces. This second Commons building was demolished in 2011 allow for the construction of the Carillon Place dining facility.

Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:

  • 1947, conversion/construction complete of the "mess hall" for nearly $3,000.
  • 1958, renovation completed. Improvements included lowering of dining hall height, partitions added splitting the dining halls, new draperies added, asphalt tile floors added, as well as new trays, tables, and chairs added to the halls.
  • 1963, original Commons was demolished and replaced by a two-story brick building, completed at a final cost of $1.5 million. The new "Commons" boasted a recreation room, dining area with four sections, a laundromat, and air-conditioning. The west side, formerly a dining hall, became headquarters for Campus Police and Parking and Traffic.
  • 2000, cooling tower and chiller replaced in August.
  • 2001, roof replacement.
  • 2004, ADA ramp completed.
  • 2005, basement renovation project for Public Safety/Parking Services.
  • 2011, Commons demolished, replaced by Carillon Place Dining Center.

MLA Citation

“Commons.” Digital Gallery. BGSU University Libraries, 4 Aug. 2015, digitalgallery.bgsu.edu/collections/item/8941. Accessed 18 Nov. 2017.