Popular Culture Building
“Popular Culture Building.” Digital Gallery. BGSU University Libraries, 4 Aug. 2015, digitalgallery.bgsu.edu/collections/item/14379. Accessed 23 Aug. 2019.
|Title||Popular Culture Building|
|Description||Purchased by the university in 1937 to serve as the second Presidential home, 838 E. Wooster Street was built in 1932 from a kit purchased through the Montgomery Ward catalog company. |
It was first occupied by President Roy E. Offenhauer, who was killed in a car accident early in his tenure. Presidents Prout and McDonald also lived in the home. President Harshman chose not to utilize the provided residence during his tenure and instead maintained a private home in the city.
After the purchase of the third presidential house in 1963, which was the first to be located off-campus, the building went on to serve as the home of the alumni center.
Later, it gained fame as the home of the Popular Culture Center and the Department of Popular Culture founded by Dr. Ray B. Browne in the early 1970s. The Department of Popular Culture utilized offices and meeting spaces of the building until the summer of 2012. The structure was demolished shortly before the beginning of the 2012 - 2013 school year and the Falcon Health Center now sits in the spot it once occupied.